Musical Con, the official musical theatre fan convention in London’s West End, is set to make a triumphant return in 2024. This will mark its third consecutive year, promising an exhilarating weekend of entertainment, education, and camaraderie for musical theatre enthusiasts. The event will take place at ExCel London on the 19th and 20th of October 2024, attracting attendees from across the globe.
Musical Con: A Rising Star in the Theatre World
Musical Con has quickly gained prominence in the past two years, drawing over 10,000 musical theatre aficionados from different corners of the world. The 2023 edition witnessed a significant expansion in terms of space and programming, featuring a multitude of special guests, workshops, and performances.
A Star-Studded Lineup
The convention’s 2023 guest list was a veritable who’s who of the musical theatre world. Attendees had the opportunity to rub shoulders with the likes of Claude-Michel Schönberg, the esteemed composer of classics such as Les Misérables and Miss Saigon. Renowned choreographer Arlene Phillips, recipient of the Special Recognition Olivier Award, graced the event with her presence. Her illustrious career includes credits in Starlight Express, Grease, and Guys & Dolls.
Laurence O’Keefe, the lyricist and composer behind popular shows like Heathers, Legally Blonde, and Bat Boy The Musical, added a touch of musical magic to the gathering. Sheffield Theatres Artistic Director, Rob Hastie, known for his work in Operation Mincemeat and Standing At The Sky’s Edge, was also present, further elevating the convention’s prestige.
The 2023 lineup included a broader spectrum of theatre creatives, from casting director Stuart Burt to designer Ben Stones. Anthony Lau, a prominent director with contributions to Miss Saigon, brought valuable insights to the event. Writers Jake Brunger and Pippa Cleary, known for The Great British Bake Off Musical, along with choreographer Mark Smith, added depth to the convention’s program.
The West End in the Spotlight
Musical Con not only provides a platform for industry professionals but also showcases the talents of West End performers. The 2023 edition featured a dazzling array of stars, including:
- Layton Williams (Everybody’s Talking About Jamie)
- Tom Francis (Sunset Boulevard)
- Aimee Atkinson (Pretty Woman The Musical)
- Trevor Dion Nicholas (Next to Normal)
- Sophie Evans (Wicked)
- Alice Fearn (Diana The Musical)
- Ben Forster
- Shanay Holmes (The Bodyguard)
- Lucie Jones (Les Misérables)
- Jon Robyns (The Phantom of the Opera)
- Jodie Steele (Bonnie and Clyde)
- Miriam Teak Lee (& Juliet)
- Michael Ahomka-Lindsay (Disney’s Newsies)
- Bronte Barbe (Disney’s Newsies)
- Courtney Bowman (Pretty Woman)
- Victoria Hamilton-Barritt (Cinderella, Bat Boy)
- Dom Hartley Harris (Bonnie and Clyde)
- Holly Anne Hull (The Phantom of the Opera)
- Cassidy Janson (& Juliet)
- Aisha Jawando (Hamilton, Tina – The Tina Turner Musical)
- Hannah Lowther (The SpongeBob Musical)
- Grace Mout (Six The Musical)
- Natalie May Paris (Six The Musical)
- Josh Piterman (Les Misérables)
- Tosh Wanogho-Maud (Ain’t Too Proud)
- Michael Xavier (Roman Holiday)
- Matt Henry (Kinky Boots, The Drifters Girl)
- John McCrea (Cabaret, Everybody’s Talking About Jamie)
- Joanna Ampil (Miss Saigon, Cats, Waitress)
- Divina De Campo (The SpongeBob Musical)
- Rob Madge (My Son’s A Queer, But What Can You Do?)
This constellation of talent illuminated the event, making it a truly unforgettable experience for fans and attendees alike.
What to Expect in 2024
Musical Con 2024 promises to build on its previous successes, offering a diverse array of entertainment and learning opportunities. The convention will once again feature thrilling performances, in-depth interviews with industry professionals, engaging panel discussions, captivating demonstrations, and opportunities for autographs and photos with your favorite stars. Additionally, attendees can look forward to a wide selection of workshops and masterclasses, allowing them to gain valuable insights and enhance their own musical theatre skills.
The Heart of Musical Con
Behind the scenes, Musical Con is brought to life by Chris Steward and Shanay Holmes of West End Musical Productions. Co-producer Shanay Holmes expressed her enthusiasm, stating, “This year was really special because the fans knew exactly what to expect, and the entire community has taken full ownership of the event and made it their own. Musical Con is our home; it is the place where we belong, and we can’t wait for 2024!”
The convention has indeed become a cherished haven for musical theatre aficionados, a place where fans and professionals come together to celebrate their shared passion for this art form. As Musical Con continues to evolve and expand, it’s clear that its role in fostering creativity, collaboration, and appreciation for musical theatre is stronger than ever.
Musical Con’s announcement of its 2024 dates in London marks an exciting development for musical theatre enthusiasts. With its stellar lineups, engaging activities, and a growing community of fans, this convention has firmly established itself as a must-attend event for anyone who loves the world of musical theatre. As anticipation builds for the 2024 edition, it’s evident that Musical Con is more than just a convention; it’s a vibrant celebration of the power of music and the performing arts.
- EntertainmentSaturday, 9 December 2023, 8:08Harry Styles Dating History
- SkillsSaturday, 9 December 2023, 8:008 Strategies to Enhance Efficiency, Boost Productivity, and Save Time
- EntertainmentSaturday, 9 December 2023, 7:57Player Kings: Ian McKellen Takes the Stage in Shakespearean Splendor
- WomenFriday, 8 December 2023, 17:48Jennifer Lawrence Interview On Motherhood